mardi 26 juin 2007

Cooking is not only about recipes

Well, recipes certainly are important. I noted that recipes and cooking advices are the single most popular food issue on the Internet, and of course, I would like to increase traffic on my blog.

At the same time, some say that the most simple things are the best: a roasted chicken, boiled potatoes, a salad of green beans, pasta… And obviously, a given recipe gives very different results when implemented by different persons, not only because some do it better than others, but they simply taste different.

I find that the single most instrumental thing is the basics: this happens, if I dare say so, at a sub-recipe level. This is about basic techniques, and the quality of products involved. Then it opens up the field of creativity.

So I decided to start a series of very basic cooking techniques, which I learnt from good chefs, and which I feel are insufficiently known and rarely mentioned. Contributions are welcome.

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

Good thing to let us know about the basics. We all have to learn from chefs, but you can do both : creativity sometimes, basics and "terroir" cooking other times ; that's what I usually do...